Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cardboard Tube Snowflake

There are so many things you can do to recycle cardboard tubes!
I seen this idea on the internet and thought it would be fun to give it a try.
Here is where I got the idea, a google search will bring you endless ideas.
I gathered my supplies and got to work.
First I took the rolls and pushed them flat(mine are both toilet paper and paper towel rolls)
The I took a ruler and marked where how big I wanted my "loops" to be.




Then I just cut all on the lines making all the loops.
I rearranged the loops how I wanted them and started glueing.
I first started out using ELMERS CRAFT BOND GLUE PEN. Which I got
as a test product for being a Bzz Agent.
It worked great. It held them together very well and calling it a "bond" is no lie.
The problem I ran into is I was having to hold the loops together until they dried.
Which it doesn't take long to dry but with all those loops I could see this quick project was going to become time consumming.
So after glueing about half the snowflake together with the Bond Glue, I decided to speed things up and break out the glue gun.

Once I got it all glued together I spray painted it white.
The cardboard absorbed the paint alot so I had to do several coats.
If you have any spray on Kilz that would work perfect for this project.

Here is the finished project. I just pinned it to the wall so you could see it. I think I will end up putting it on a string and hanging it from a window or something tho.
I like how it turned out, but I can most certainly see room for improvement.
Just for a snowflakey effect I added sparkly glitter to it.
This project was quick, fun and simple and the ideas of various snowflakes are endless.
I am going to make more. They would be so pretty hanging a bunch in different lengths and sizes from a window or sliding glass door.

3 comments:

  1. simply fantastic! thanks so much for sharing this.
    jd in st louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ideas are so pretty. I am going to try them. I also see a flower design, which I think will work, too. Just have to find something for the center (like a pretty colored stone or such).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job! Easy "quilling" look to it. Perfect

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appriciate it and come look around anytime!