Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pinterest Play Day!-Make your own chalk board! EASY!!!

Excuse the crapola photos here....
I've had a piece of foam core board for over a year now...because..well...Im a packrat and can't throw anything away and I just knew that I would use it for SOMETHING...
Well..a year later that something has come...
A chalk board!!
I seen on pinterest how you can make your own chalkboard paint using powdered tile grout...well.I didn't have any of that, but I did have plaster of paris..so i figured..really...what do I have to lose??...
So I gathered all my supplies...
foam core board
plaster
black acrylic craft paint
foam brush
disposable cup....
and away i went...
I squirted about a half cup of paint into the cup and 4 scoops of plaster into the paint.
I stirred it well with the foam brush and then painted the foam core...
I let it dry..and it dries quick and painted on 4 more layers..
To hang it I used those command adhesive strip thinga ma bobs...
Seeings as the foam core was so light they were perfect for this project...

In about an hour I was able to write on the board with chalk..

I hung this in my kitchen..and the whole family has had fun drawing on it..
leaving messages and words of encouragement..and WHAT'S FOR DINNER!!!
The plaster seemed to do the trick! I've since wiped it down with a damp cloth and the paint did not come off. The possibilies on this project are endless! You could paint anything! Even a wall..or door..or...well you get the idea :) Also keep in mind you can use any color paint you want!
Have fun with it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appriciate it and come look around anytime!