Saturday, February 7, 2009

How to make Paper!!

Making paper is such a FUN experience!!
I've been doing this for years!!!
My very first time ever making paper was when I was in highschool.
I was hooked from then on!!!
It is a great way to add texture to your cards, layouts, atc's and various other crafts.
If using it for your scrapbooking be sure to only blend acid free papers.
I will try to explain this the best I can, but if
something does not make sense or you have a
question please feel free to email me.
First thing you need to do is pick your paper colors.
Keep in mind, that the darker color will be the dominant color.
It will come out lighter then your darkest paper tho.
I throw in white paper for a color filler.
You can use any scraps (which i recommend, why waste??)
You can use magazines, news paper,computer paper, your kids
old school news letter..

Ok, after picking your papers tear them up. There is no rule here

Just tear them up so they blend better and quicker

Put them all into your blender.

There is no rule on how"much" paper to use but I fill the blender up about half way with torn loose paper. It really don't take much.

Then put your water in. Again, no set amount here either

It doesn't matter how much water you put in it's eventually all going to drain out. I usually fill mine a little over half the blender cup.

Also, I don't know as it matters, but I let my paper soak in the water for about 5 minutes before I blend it. I just figure it gets the paper soaked and soft..but that's just my way of thinking lol..
And here it is blending.

I usually put it on the "blend" setting but to tell you the truth I don't think it really matters.

It does not take much time at all for this to all blend together. Less the one minute really!

Beware if your kids are around they will think you are making a smoothie! (Kids love this project even when they find out it's NOT food lol)

Ok, now it's all blended and thick and I'm going to be using

this for "snow" so I added about a teaspoon of glitter to the top.

Put the lid back on and hit "grate" but only for a few seconds.

When it's dry it'll be nice and sparkly. You can add other things at this point too. it don't have to be just glitter. If you want to add flowers I recommend you either put them in and hand stir or put the in the paper as you're pouring it.

I also would recommend if you are wanting to add fibers you hand stir those in because they will get caught on your blender blades and that's a real pain!


Ok now, this is where you will need a screen of some sort.

What I usually use is something that's just a handmade deal.

I took a picture frame and removed the backing and glass then I took a staple gun and stapled regular old window screen to the back side. This is a great tool! It's cheap and it keeps your paper in a rectangular shape. HOWEVER.......this particular time, I could not find my screen tool so I improvised and used my wire drying rack for beef jerky. A little wider screen then what I'd prefer but it worked in a pinch.

Ok so take your screen and set it in a secure spot where it won't tip over or be spilled.

Then you just pour your "pulp" over the screen.

You can spread it out with your hands to make it thinner if you like.

When using my screen (with the much smaller holes) I like to put saran wrap over it and roll it out with my brayer.

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT LAY THE RACK OVER YOUR SINK AND LET YOUR PAPER DRAIN THIS WAY!! IT WILL CLOG YOUR SINK AND PISS YOUR HUSBANDS OFF!! I USE A BAKING DISH AND SET THE RACK OVER THAT.

Here is the paper all spread out and draining.

What I like to do is take a old towel and fold it up and lay it across the paper. It absorbs alot of the water then after about 20 mins or so flip the towel over and it'll absorb even more.

Once the paper is done draining and NO water is leaking out of it, I will then lay the rack across my sink for better air circulation. It will take over night to dry but I'm very impatient and so I either blow dry it or zap it with my heat gun. The hair dryer method will take about 20-30 mins to fully get it dry but a heat gun is much faster.

Now here is a handy dandy tip-IF you decided to use your hair dryer or heat gun don't set up a "holding station" so you don't have to sit there and hold the dryer. You really should move your dryer back and forth. If you prop it up and let it dry that way it will result in warped paper.

Once it's dry and be sure it's completely dry because when it's wet it's delicate, you can peel it off your screen, carefully.

And that's it. You have paper. Now just cut it up and do what you like with it!!

If you make this paper please come back and let me know how it turned out and how you liked it.

Come back again and see how I make wedding favors using this handmade paper!!

3 comments:

  1. Now I want to make paper, and I would love to add dry leaves and flowers to it. I'm on the look out for some screen now. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I had no idea that was possible!!! Very cool!

    thanks for posting my button your blog!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the guide, this tutorial was highly helpful for me to master how to make paper!!. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appriciate it and come look around anytime!